Also Olympic Champion Justin Kripps and silver medallist Elana Meyers Taylor start in Whistler
Whistler (RWH) The IBSF North American Cup (NAC) race series 2018/19 for Bobsleigh and Skeleton athletes kicks off in Whistler/CAN with the first training runs from November 4 onwards and the first races on November 7-10.
Here are some facts and figures:
- In race series like the IBSF North American Cup you can meet the future stars of bobsleigh and skeleton sport: lots of athletes start their sliding career here before qualifying for their national World Cup, World Championships or Olympic teams.
- Prominent winners of the last years were, amongst others, 2016 World Championships Bronze medallist Elisabeth Maier (neé Vathje, CAN, Women’s Skeleton, 2013/2014), 2018 Olympic silver medallist Yunjong Won (KOR, 4-man Bobsleigh, 2013/2014) or fellow 2018 Olympians Codie Bascue (USA, 2-man Bobsleigh 2013/2014, 4-Man Bobsleigh 2015/2016), John Farrow (AUS, Men’s Skeleton 2016/2017) and Ander Mirambell (ESP, Men’s Skeleton, 2015/2016).
- At the Kick-off IBSF North American Cup in Whistler, athletes from 23 nations are currently registered.
- Among them are prominent names like 2-Man Bobsleigh Olympic Champion Justin Kripps from Canada or 2-woman Bobsleigh Olympic silver medallist Elana Meyers Taylor (USA) – this is possible because of the following rules:
o If there’s no concurrent BMW IBSF World Cup race taking place at the same time, the top 12 male / top 8 female bobsleigh pilots in the IBSF ranking can also race in North American Cup.
o If there’s a BMW IBSF World Cup race the same time as an IBSF North American Cup, the following rule applies: the male pilots placed among the top 12 and the female pilots placed among the top 8 of the current IBSF discipline ranking will not be admitted to the North American Cup races, unless the respective nation uses its entire World Cup quota.
- Last season’s NAC winners were Kelly Curtis (USA, Women’s Skeleton), Austin Florian (USA, Men’s Skeleton), Yooran Kim (KOR, 2-woman Bobsleigh), Geoffrey Gadbois (USA, 2-man Bobsleigh) and Edson Luques Bindilatti (BRA, 4-man Bobsleigh) – Austin Florian and Geoffrey Gadbois currently were nominated for the 2018/2019 US World Cup team!
- Even if it’s called „North American Cup“, all nations may participate with a total of four bobsleigh pilots respectively four skeleton athletes per nation, in skeleton only two athletes are allowed for nations outside of America, Asia and Oceania.
- The schedule of IBSF North American Cup 2018/2019 (PDF)
31 Aug 2023
Olympic silver medalists Narracott and Won IBSF Athlete Role Models for Gangwon Youth Olympic Games
3 Jun 2023
IBSF Vice President Sport Ander Mirambell receives Olympic Order from Spanish Olympic Committee
27 Mar 2023
Finals of IBSF North American Cup: US pilots Brzozowski in 2-woman bob and Del Duca in 4-man Bob the overall winners
27 Mar 2023
Skeleton Finals of IBSF North American Cup: Brendan Doyle first overall winner from Ireland
25 Mar 2023
Elana Meyers Taylor to be appointed to US President Biden's Council on Sports, Fitness, & Nutrition
25 Mar 2023
Finals of IBSF North American Cup in Lake Placid: Brzozowski and Norton Overall Champions in Monobob and 2-man Bob
25 Nov 2022
IBSF North American Cup: Čerňanská and Kim half time leader in 2-woman and 4-man Bobsleigh
20 Nov 2022
IBSF North American Cup in Park City: First Monobob wins for U23 World Champion Čerňanská
14 Nov 2022
IBSF North American Cup in Whistler: Canada and Great Britain win 2-woman and 4-man bob races
13 Nov 2022
IBSF North American Cup in Whistler: Clarke and Fernstaedt, Florian and Auer win first skeleton races
11 Nov 2022
IBSF North American Cup in Whistler: Humphries, Appiah, Vogt and Friedli first winners of the 2022-2023 winter