Also Olympic Champion Justin Kripps and silver medallist Elana Meyers Taylor start in Whistler
Whistler (RWH) The IBSF North American Cup (NAC) race series 2018/19 for Bobsleigh and Skeleton athletes kicks off in Whistler/CAN with the first training runs from November 4 onwards and the first races on November 7-10.
Here are some facts and figures:
- In race series like the IBSF North American Cup you can meet the future stars of bobsleigh and skeleton sport: lots of athletes start their sliding career here before qualifying for their national World Cup, World Championships or Olympic teams.
- Prominent winners of the last years were, amongst others, 2016 World Championships Bronze medallist Elisabeth Maier (neé Vathje, CAN, Women’s Skeleton, 2013/2014), 2018 Olympic silver medallist Yunjong Won (KOR, 4-man Bobsleigh, 2013/2014) or fellow 2018 Olympians Codie Bascue (USA, 2-man Bobsleigh 2013/2014, 4-Man Bobsleigh 2015/2016), John Farrow (AUS, Men’s Skeleton 2016/2017) and Ander Mirambell (ESP, Men’s Skeleton, 2015/2016).
- At the Kick-off IBSF North American Cup in Whistler, athletes from 23 nations are currently registered.
- Among them are prominent names like 2-Man Bobsleigh Olympic Champion Justin Kripps from Canada or 2-woman Bobsleigh Olympic silver medallist Elana Meyers Taylor (USA) – this is possible because of the following rules:
o If there’s no concurrent BMW IBSF World Cup race taking place at the same time, the top 12 male / top 8 female bobsleigh pilots in the IBSF ranking can also race in North American Cup.
o If there’s a BMW IBSF World Cup race the same time as an IBSF North American Cup, the following rule applies: the male pilots placed among the top 12 and the female pilots placed among the top 8 of the current IBSF discipline ranking will not be admitted to the North American Cup races, unless the respective nation uses its entire World Cup quota.
- Last season’s NAC winners were Kelly Curtis (USA, Women’s Skeleton), Austin Florian (USA, Men’s Skeleton), Yooran Kim (KOR, 2-woman Bobsleigh), Geoffrey Gadbois (USA, 2-man Bobsleigh) and Edson Luques Bindilatti (BRA, 4-man Bobsleigh) – Austin Florian and Geoffrey Gadbois currently were nominated for the 2018/2019 US World Cup team!
- Even if it’s called „North American Cup“, all nations may participate with a total of four bobsleigh pilots respectively four skeleton athletes per nation, in skeleton only two athletes are allowed for nations outside of America, Asia and Oceania.
- The schedule of IBSF North American Cup 2018/2019 (PDF)
18 Jan 2019
Skeleton athlete Janine Flock with third European Championship title at BMW IBSF World Cup
12 Jan 2019
Fourth season victory and third European Championship title for Olympic Champion Friedrich
12 Jan 2019
US Skeleton Athletes Kelly Curtis and Andrew Blaser Overall Winners in IBSF North American Cup
1 Oct 2018
Hoffman, Williamson, Jones and Del Duca win 2018 USA National Bobsleigh Push Championships