Also Olympic Champion Justin Kripps and silver medallist Elana Meyers Taylor start in Whistler
Whistler (RWH) The IBSF North American Cup (NAC) race series 2018/19 for Bobsleigh and Skeleton athletes kicks off in Whistler/CAN with the first training runs from November 4 onwards and the first races on November 7-10.
Here are some facts and figures:
- In race series like the IBSF North American Cup you can meet the future stars of bobsleigh and skeleton sport: lots of athletes start their sliding career here before qualifying for their national World Cup, World Championships or Olympic teams.
- Prominent winners of the last years were, amongst others, 2016 World Championships Bronze medallist Elisabeth Maier (neé Vathje, CAN, Women’s Skeleton, 2013/2014), 2018 Olympic silver medallist Yunjong Won (KOR, 4-man Bobsleigh, 2013/2014) or fellow 2018 Olympians Codie Bascue (USA, 2-man Bobsleigh 2013/2014, 4-Man Bobsleigh 2015/2016), John Farrow (AUS, Men’s Skeleton 2016/2017) and Ander Mirambell (ESP, Men’s Skeleton, 2015/2016).
- At the Kick-off IBSF North American Cup in Whistler, athletes from 23 nations are currently registered.
- Among them are prominent names like 2-Man Bobsleigh Olympic Champion Justin Kripps from Canada or 2-woman Bobsleigh Olympic silver medallist Elana Meyers Taylor (USA) – this is possible because of the following rules:
o If there’s no concurrent BMW IBSF World Cup race taking place at the same time, the top 12 male / top 8 female bobsleigh pilots in the IBSF ranking can also race in North American Cup.
o If there’s a BMW IBSF World Cup race the same time as an IBSF North American Cup, the following rule applies: the male pilots placed among the top 12 and the female pilots placed among the top 8 of the current IBSF discipline ranking will not be admitted to the North American Cup races, unless the respective nation uses its entire World Cup quota.
- Last season’s NAC winners were Kelly Curtis (USA, Women’s Skeleton), Austin Florian (USA, Men’s Skeleton), Yooran Kim (KOR, 2-woman Bobsleigh), Geoffrey Gadbois (USA, 2-man Bobsleigh) and Edson Luques Bindilatti (BRA, 4-man Bobsleigh) – Austin Florian and Geoffrey Gadbois currently were nominated for the 2018/2019 US World Cup team!
- Even if it’s called „North American Cup“, all nations may participate with a total of four bobsleigh pilots respectively four skeleton athletes per nation, in skeleton only two athletes are allowed for nations outside of America, Asia and Oceania.
- The schedule of IBSF North American Cup 2018/2019 (PDF)
2 Aug 2021
Hoffman, Del Duca, Volker and Meyers Taylor take titles at US National Bobsled Push Championships
25 Mar 2021
Korea Cup 2021 in PyeongChang featuring athletes from Olympic Champion to absolute beginners
23 Mar 2021
Meyers Taylor, Bascue and Church win Lake Placid Bobsleigh team selection races for Olympic season
8 Mar 2021
Happy International Women’s Day 2021 with some inspirational stories of our female athletes and staff
13 Feb 2021
Defending World Champion Friedrich in front at 4-man bobsleigh halfway stage in Altenberg
31 Jan 2021
Friedrich ends World Cup season with 4-man bobsleigh victory and two more overall titles
29 Jan 2021
John Daly and Megan Henry win first North American Cup races in Men’s and Women’s Skeleton
25 Jan 2021
Nicole Vogt and Hunter Church win first North American Cup races in 2-woman and 4-man Bobsleigh