BMW IBSF World Championships in Altenberg, BMW IBSF World Cup with two double-events
Lausanne (RWH) The International Bobsleigh & Skeleton Federation IBSF has published its updated sports calendar for the 2020/2021 season. Due to travel restrictions caused by the COVID19 pandemic and to protect the health of athletes and organisers, adjustments were necessary in all race series. Amongst other measures, double races will be held at many venues in order to minimise travel.
- The BMW IBSF World Championships 2021 have been moved from Lake Placid (USA) to Altenberg (GER, 1-14 February 2021).
- - According to current planning, the BMW IBSF World Cup 2020/2021 will be held in two double events in Sigulda (LAT, 16 - 29 November 2020) and Innsbruck (AUT, 7 - 20 December) as well as one event each in Winterberg (GER, 4 - 10 January 2021), St. Moritz (SUI, 11 – 17 January), Königssee (GER, 18 - 24 January 2021) and Beijing (CHN, 8 - 14 March).
- The IBSF North American Cup Bobsleigh & Skeleton is due to take place compactly and with double events between January 4 and 24, 2021. Which tracks will host the races has not yet been decided.
- The IBSF Europe Cup Skeleton will kick-off in Winterberg at the end of November and will then stop over at Königssee, Sigulda, Altenberg and Innsbruck until the end of January. The Europe Cup Bobsleigh starts in Winterberg at the beginning of December, with further races in December and January in Sigulda, Altenberg and Innsbruck as well as the final at Königssee in mid-February.
- The IBSF Junior World Championships Bob & Skeleton 2021 will remain in St. Moritz (SUI, January 18 - 24) as planned in the current calendar.
- The IBSF Skeleton Intercontinental Cup will be held in December and January with double races at Königssee, in PyeongChang (KOR) and in Innsbruck.
- The IBSF Women's Monobob World Series will go on tour with the BMW IBSF World Cup as well as the Europe Cup Bobsleigh and the North American Cup: First at the World Cup opener in Sigulda (LAT, 16 - 29 November 2020), at the Europe Cup in Winterberg (GER, 1 - 6 December 2020), at the World Cup in Innsbruck (AUT, 7 - 20 December) and at the Europe Cup in Sigulda (LAT, 12 - 20 December 2020). In January 2021, Women's Monobob races are planned at the IBSF North American Cup, at the World Cups in St. Moritz (SUI, 11 - 17 January 2021) and at Königssee (GER, 18 - 24 January 2021) as well as at the European Cup in Innsbruck (AUT, 11 - 16 January 2021). In addition, the women will compete in monobob at the Europe Cup in Königssee (GER, 15 - 21 February) and at the World Cup final and Olympic test event in Beijing (CHN, 8 - 14 March).
- The calendar for the IBSF Para-Sport World Cup and Para-Sport World Championships will be announced shortly.
- IBSF Secretary General Heike Größwang: "Flexibility will be key for all stakeholders as our environment is changing constantly during these challenging times. Speaking about flexibility we want to thank all race organizers and their teams worldwide for the open discussion during the last weeks, demonstrating their support and engagement in order to be able to host events."
IBSF Sports Calendar Update for Season 2020/2021
9 Jan 2022
European Cup Final of the Skeleton Athletes in Altenberg - Agathe Bessard and Evgeniy Rukosuev Junior European Champion…
9 Jan 2022
UPDATE BMW IBSF World Cup Winterberg: 2-woman bobsleigh race delayed to 10.30 due to snow
31 Dec 2021
Defending skeleton champion Janine Flock ends 2021 in Sigulda with first win of the season